Our Community Has Already Raised
Our New Home at 1002 Anacapa Street
Learn more about the vision and see our impact
A Message From Our Pastor
“Twenty-three years ago, God prompted us to step out in faith and plant a church in downtown Santa Barbara. The vision was to share the love of Jesus with every person from the ocean to the hills. Our invitation was “come as you are”— “no perfect people allowed”—and “can church be this much fun!?”
That is STILL who we are today!
It’s time to re-plant. We are going to become a two-service church and transform 1002 Anacapa Street into our Sunday meeting place! I believe God is calling Oceanhills to take what He has given and grown and now re-plant. By putting down deeper roots we can become a more permanent presence in our city.
After an extensive search, seeking wise counsel, and a season of prayer for the whole congregation, IT’S TIME to invite you to join us in this journey to raise the funds we need to make this God-sized dream a reality. Imagine the lives that will be touched and transformed by Jesus in this space—a mission outpost in downtown Santa Barbara!
Love Everyone. Always.
Dr. Jon Ireland, Founding & Lead Pastor
“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Phil 3:12-14
Listen to the voice of His people...
When I first started coming to Oceanhills a few years ago, I heard a repeated phrase: move one step closer to what makes your heart hurt. I liked that a lot. As someone who struggles with perfectionism, starting small was extremely important advice, so I decided to serve dinner to our houseless friends at the Rescue Mission one day. I took one more step and started showing up more. Through time, consistency, and serving with friends, it became clearer to me that my hurting heart was growing. I think every time my heart hurts more for the least of these, Jesus is aligning me into whom I’m supposed to be. And he’s made it very clear that it 100% matters to be with the poor, and that’s what I need to be doing with my life. Jesus is expanding my heart for the least of these, and I feel him calling me to take more action, more steps closer. I don’t see how I could be saying any of this if it weren’t for Oceanhills.
In my life I have found that God often makes people for places as much as he makes places for people. Communities exist to be poured into by people as much as they are made to pour out to people. This is one of the most beautiful aspects of community. God uses it as a mechanism to help us live into our calling and purpose. Oceanhills has been a community that has welcomed me in and poured into me in many ways. Equally important to me, Oceanhills has been a community that has made spaces for me to pour into my community. This has been a place for me to feel like a member of God’s family and live into my calling and purpose. I am excited to continue to be a part of extending that invitation to everybody.
I have been a Christian for as long as I can remember. I fell really far from God during my junior high years, and I didn’t want anything to do with him. I believed in him and loved him in one sense, but I didn’t want what I thought was his plan for my life. Oceanhills and some of the staff helped me find God again. I’ve had a lot of mentors in my life, but I never truly saw the change it could make in my life until I was part of the youth program at Oceanhills. When I was teaching those kids Jesus, they ended up changing my life, bringing me back to God. It changed me on the inside and allowed me to see what God does in the hearts of people, even those who don’t think they need change.
Before we found Oceanhills, we thought life was good and that we didn’t need God. Unfortunately, we went through a terrible loss, so we came to Oceanhills basically broken-hearted. We found a life group where we not only found amazing friends, but a community where we could ask really hard questions and express our doubts and our fears. We found a safe place to learn about God alongside others who were going through similar things. It’s also been wonderful getting to see our children get to know God. They love all the Oceanhills youth activities. They even got baptized a few years ago in the ocean. They have learned that God loves them and no matter what happens in their life, God has plans for them. That gives me and my husband, Craig, great peace of mind and has brought us really close together as a family. For that, we are so grateful.
Over the next two years, Oceanhills will raise funds to pay off, renovate, and maximize our new space for ministry at 1002 Anacapa Street
PUT DOWN ROOTS
Goal Amount: $4.5 Million
The property costs $4.5 Million to purchase. As of January 1, 2022, we have pledges over $4 million towards this goal. Our prayers are being answered!
RAISE THE ROOF
Goal Amount: An additional $4.5 Million*
When we reach a certain level of pledges we will begin a full renovation of the space, including…
- Build out the facility to hold Sunday services here.
- Occupy the entire building.
- Architectural design and building reinforcement and support.
- Transform the rooftop to an amazing outreach gathering space for events, weddings, and outdoor worship.
- Provide Sunday gathering space for our Okids and student ministries.
- Reconfigure and update offices spaces.
* Please note: Depending on future construction costs and a construction loan, the numbers could change. We’ll keep you up-to-date.
Here's What We're Asking Everyone at Oceanhills to do:
Ask God in prayer for what he is calling you to sacrificially invest.
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6: 33
“But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.” Deuteronomy 23: 6
Hear what God is calling you to do in response.
“Now, my son, listen carefully and do what I tell you.” Genesis 27: 8
“Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance.” Proverbs 1:5
Trust His leading and believe for HIs provision.
“We have confidence before God and receive from him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him. Those who obey his commands live in him and he in them.” 1 John: 21, 24
My Campaign Pledge
Through God's leading over the next three years, I plan to give...
- To be good stewards of the money God entrusts to us.
- Rather than pay rent, we want to pay off the building and use future resources to invest in next generation leaders, future staffing, and more compassion ministries in our community.
- To put down permanent roots in the community to draw more people to Jesus.
- 1002 Anacapa St. is the right size space—30% larger than The Loft (our previous ministry space) with a better multi-use configuration.
- It’s a central location for the greater Santa Barbara region, including those that come from the Goleta, Montecito, and Carpinteria areas. A perfect location for serving those who are hurting or underserved in our community and to build bridges to other communities.
- Sitting on a prominent intersection with good visibility to the community, it can become a mission outpost for a city that desperately needs Jesus.
- We secured a mortgage with Covenant Church Bank with an excellent rate and very favorable terms for debt reduction.
- Instead of paying rent every month, Oceanhills will have an asset worth $5 million or more.
- We have a tenant whose monthly rent helps offset our monthly mortgage payment. Until we need the extra space, we will continue that agreement.
- A home for worship, including a permanent Sunday morning church facility.
- An inspirational multi-use space for our community to experience the unfailing love of Jesus during WEEKLY worship gatherings- indoors, outdoors & online—as well as worship nights under the stars.
- A ministry hub where young adults and students can gather to learn more about God and find His purpose for their lives.
- A fun and safe space for Okids gatherings and events with ground level access and easy drop-off and pickup.
- A men’s and women’s ministries center to connect, network, serve, and grow together.
- Flexible and adaptable spaces for our staff, small groups, classes, and service activities.
- A stable location to attract, recruit, and launch our next generation of ministry leaders.
- We CAN meet here in the future with multiple services. This downtown ministry center saves us over $10 million compared to the cost of a large worship space in Santa Barbara. (We looked at a $10 million space that also needed another $11 million to renovate).
- If we hit our big campaign goal, we will renovate the building and meet here on Sundays.
- YES! This space provides the flexibility to offer multiple services with the potential for rooftop services in the future.
- We believe that youth space is essential, along with spaces for worship practice, adult ministry meetings, community events and community services. This place checks all those boxes.
- No. To be able to continue our current ministries and operations, this building campaign is OVER and ABOVE your regular tithe.
- If you don’t already tithe, you could start there and see how God is faithful in His provision for you.
- That’s a great question to ask God. We are asking everyone to make a significant sacrifice, and since everyone has different incomes, this will mean different gift sizes.
- It’s not about equal gifts—it’s about equal sacrifice. What am I going to say “no” to spending money on (sacrifice) in order to say a bigger “yes” to giving to God’s house?
- Of course! You can revise your pledge either up or down at any time. Just contact Jolene Warren at Oceanhills.
- We will be asking for a three-year commitment, a pledged amount. You can give that right now or weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly—whatever works best for you.
- Online at oceanhills.org/give
- Oceanhills app
- Cash or check
- IRA qualified charitable distribution
- Appreciated stock
- Please contact our Treasurer at Oceanhills,
Artists Renderings of Our New Church Home
A Dedicated Space for Ministry and Connection
Our new home will give us adequate space to live out our calling and mission.
Creative Arts & Worship
Our new home is a space where the creative arts will flourish and find expression in worship and prayer through music, art, and writing.
Students & Young Adults
Our students are already starting to enjoy our new home! 1002 Anacapa St. is a perfect spot for our young adults and students to hang, build relationships, and find purpose.
Children & Families
Young families are a vital and growing community at Oceanhills. Our new home will provide a fun and safe place for our Okids small group gatherings and events.
Men's & Women's Ministries
Our new home in downtown Santa Barbara is an ideal location for a men’s & women’s ministry hub to connect, network, serve, and grow together.
A Permanent Home in Downtown Santa Barbara
Our new space is well-suited for our needs today and our future growth!
It's the right size space
Our new home is 30% larger than our previous space (the Loft) and in a more conducive, multi-use configuration.
A prime location in downtown Santa Barbara
We will use our new home to serve those who are hurting or underserved in our city and as a means to build bridges in the community.
Convenience and practicality
Ground level access, making it accessible for all. Easy drop-off and pickup for parents and families with well-designed entries and exits.
We're building for our future
Over the next 20 years, we will save over $2Million in rent. Instead of breaking even every month, Oceanhills will have an asset worth $5Million!
Want to stay updated on our capital campaign? Subscribe now to our email list.